Arnav and Khushi's Story

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chapter 12: Hidden

Khushi sat patiently. The nurse had said the doctor will with her in a few minutes. Externally Khushi looked calm and composed for someone who had collapsed on the stairs of her hostel. She had been brought to the hospital by her roommate. Outside, Khushi looked collected.

Inside, Khushi was a nervous wreck, breaking into pieces, counting the days, the months, thinking about the signs, the evidence, and worst of all what it all meant. Of course she was late. Was she stupid? It had been almost three months since the last time. Three months! Hai Devi Maiya, why do you test me so?

The doctor came in and took a seat across Khushi as Khushi took a deep breathe and placed a well practiced smile on her face. 

"I see you're Mrs. Raizada?" The doctor said making it clear that she knew who the Raizadas and who her husband was. That was expected. Her husband was known all through India.

"Ji, that's me." Khushi replied placing another well practiced smile on her face.

"Is he with you today, Mrs.Raizada?"

"No, he- he is busy and I'm in Bombay for some other things and..." Khushi trailed off as she saw the doctor scanning through her results.

"Well, it would've been better if he was here today, but I'm happy to say that you're pregnant! Congratulations, Mrs.Raizada!"

"Thank you!" Khushi's face showed a slight emotion of shock. She knew it was coming, but hearing it out loud felt like her nightmare was closer than she expected.

"I am surprised, however." The doctor continued. "you're almost three months along. Did you not notice you were late?"

"I've been very busy, so..." Khushi trailed off once again. 

"Well it happens. Anyhow, I'm going to prescribe you to some vitamins and other essential tablets. Go ahead and buy them at the pharmacy right away. You should have started taking these earlier as you are weak, according to your test results. From now on, make sure you limit your travel, intake of unhealthy food, caffeine etc..." The doctor kept speaking as Khushi zoned out. 

She was three months pregnant. That too with that Laad Governor's spawn. No. This was her baby. Khushi was broken from her trail of thoughts as the doctor handed her the prescription. Thanking the doctor, she walked out. Right then her phone rang. Khushi instantly recognized the number she knew as Arnav's. She really had get a new phone, Khushi thought to herself. She was about to end the call when she stopped. What if he gets angry? What if he keeps looking for her and finds her? What if he came to know that she was pregnant? No way. She picked up the call.

"Hello?" Khushi' voice slightly shook as the spoke to the man that had ruined her life.

Arnav froze in his cabin as he heard the voice that haunted his dreams. The phone almost fell out f his hand. Arnav had been calling Khushi ever since he had gotten to know the truth about what really happened. It was two weeks ago that NK had revealed to Arnav the truth about everything that happened. Since then he had been trying to call Khushi, but the call never went through. Arnav was begining to lose hope, thinking that she had gotten a new number, when right now Khushi had picked up.

"Khushi?" His voice was soft and it faltered Khushi for a minute before she was pulled back into reality.

"What do you want?"

"Khushi, I-"

"No! I don't understand why you keep bothering me even after I left for good. You're a business man, right? So you obviously understand contracts and deals, right? Well then understand that six months are over and that our deal is over."

"Khushi, if you are done talking nonsense, then listen to me." Arnav's voice had turned back to ASR mode. 

"I already asked you, what do you want?"Khushi's voice matched her stance. 

"Khushi, NK told me everything, and I- Khushi where are you? Please tell me Khushi! Khushi, I screwed up. Not once but twice. Khushi, please, tell me where you are!"

"No." Khushi whispered. It wasn't offensive, it wasn't defensive. It was a cry. A heart wrenching, pain filled whisper that hung in between the lines connecting Arnav and Khushi.

"Khushi, please..."

"I can't-"

"Please, give me a last chance, Khushi! Khushi, atleast tell me where you are! Look are you safe? Do you have money? Khushi you know there's money in your account at the bank right? Do you still have your credit card Khushi? Khushi come back home. Use the money and get yourself somewhere safe, please. Khushi? Khushi tell me where you are, dammit! Khushi why haven't you used the money? How are you living where ever you are? Khushi? Khushi talk to me." The last sentence wasn't ASR trying to tell her what to do; it was Arnav, and he was pleading.

"I don't want you money. I need you to stop calling me. What I said the when I left Shantivan still applies Mr.Raizada. I'm done with you. Now please wasting my time." Khushi's words were slow but menacing. She had to remind herself how often ASR changed his moods. He would go from caring to evil in seconds. She knew that, and she wasn't going to fall for it a third time.

"Khushi-"

Khushi hung up the line and then proceeded to turn her phone off. She didn't need anymore surprises for the day. Ever since Khushi had left, a hefty sum of money had started moving into her bank account. It was Arnav's doing, of course, but she hadn't touched a penny. She didn't want his money. She was going to take care of herself, no mater what her condition was.

Khushi clutched the prescription in her hand and walked to the pharmacy. After reaching there she realized the expense she had to pay for the medicines. It then slowly started dawning on Khushi.

Pregnancy wasn't a joke. From now on her expenses were only going to rise, and she didn't even have a proper place to live. There would be medicine, check ups, appointments, reservations, and the cost would only keep rising. After sitting on a bench and thinking for a good hour, Khushi turned her phone back on and dialed a number. It was picked up on the first ring.

"Khushi?" Arnav's voice sounded relieved with a tinge of anger.

"I thought about what you said. I have some decisions and conditions." Khushi spoke clearly, displaying no emotions in her voice.

"I'm listening..." Arnav was apprehensive.

"I will use the money that you keep putting into my account. As you guessed, I don't really have a way of supporting me right now. However, you have to stop. In order for me to use the money and live safely as you please, you need to stop looking for me. Put an end to it right now! Never call me. Never look for me. Never inquire about me. Never talk about me."

"Khushi, stop this-"

"I'm not done." Khushi interrupted. "If you are not going to listen, then I will disappear in such a way in which you will never find me. It's either you leave me alone or you leave me alone. You pick Mr.Raizada."

Khushi's voice displayed no show of resistance or hesitance. She was firm. Arnav understood what this meant. She was telling him what he wanted to hear in a way. She would be safe and happy thanks to him if he chose to leave her alone. Or he could just not listen to Khushi, but that would have its consequences. Arnav knew Khushi wasn't playing around.

"Okay." Arnav broke the silence. Khushi had been waiting for his reply, being slightly anxious. His answer surprised Khushi, but she was glad.

"Alright. Goodbye, Mr. Raizada." And with that Khushi ended the line. She walked back to the pharmacy and pulled out her credit card. She bought all the medicines. On the way home, she found a safe and comfortable apartment to move into. From now on, she would only focus on herself and be away from everything that tried to harm her. Even if it meant, living off of ASR's money, it was better than living in his company, she decided. 

Arnav slowly put the phone down and stared at the wall. If she really did use the money he was putting into her credit card, then he would be lucky. All he would have to to do is find the location of the withdrawal to track Khushi. However, Arnav stopped. What if Khushi finds out? The threat she had made on the phone wasn't something he could put off so easily. After much contemplation he changed his mind. He would leave her alone.

---

Khushi slowly came back to reality as she realized that she was walking back and forth across the living room of Shantivan after dinner as she rocked Shiv back to sleep. He mind was always wandering of now a days.

Khushi could feel Arnav's eyes on her the entire time, but she ignored the burn of his gaze.

"Khushi?" Payal called from behind her.

"Ji?" Khushi replied.

"It's getting late. Put Sid to sleep and go to bed yourself. Okay?" Payal stroked Khushi's cheek.

"Okay, Jiji." Khushi responded with a smile. Glad to escape Arnav's gaze, she sped to her room.

Arnav watched Khushi take Shiv to the guestroom and proceeded to his room upstairs.

Payal watched Khushi leave, and then Arnav leave. There was something wrong and Payal could sense it. Khushi was lying about something. Payal felt as if something was being kept from the rest of the family. Something was hidden. What was the real reason for Khushi being back?

No comments:

Post a Comment