Arnav and Khushi's Story

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Chapter 5: Reactions

Arnav froze. She didn't know? About what? Oh, he realized what she meant. She didn't know she was pregnant.

---

Tears continued to stream down Khushi's face. The family took in what she had said and waited patiently for Khushi to continue.

"When I left I just wanted to go back to Lucknow. I changed my mind then because... Because I  just wanted to be alone and went to Bombay. I've been there for the past year."

Arnav took in what she was saying. He had always thought she went to Lucknow, not with her parents, but somewhere there. Bombay was unexpected.

"I had money from the lunch service I had started saved up, so I rented a room at a decent hotel and started looking for a job. I got a job at a sweet shop and I was set on settling in Bombay."

That doesn't explain why she took the money. She had a job? Arnav's mind was filled with thoughts.

"One day, I collapsed on the stairs that led to my room. I had shifted to a women's hostel. My room mate found me and took me to a hospital. It turned out I was already 2 months pregnant and unaware of it. I didn't have to think twice about it. I was keeping and having the baby."

When Khushi said she didn't have to think twice, Arnav felt a surge of emotions. He felt a sort of unspoken gratitude towards her and continued to listen. It was making sense now.

"I quit my job."  Khushi gave Arnav a meaningful look. That explained the money to Arnav.

Nani had taken Shiv from Anjali and was gently patting him down. Khushi wanted to take Shiv from Nani, but she reminded herself that she had been selfish for the past 5 months and now it was Nani's turn to care for Shiv.

"Look..." Khushi's voice broke and she inhaled a deep breath. Don't stop now, Khushi. Not now. Spit it out and let them know. 

"Look I know what I did was selfish. Extremely insensitive and pathetic even. And I'm not here to ask you to take me back or forget everything that's happened. I'm here because it's the right thing to do. I'm here because Shiv is a Raizada and all of you deserve to know about him." She paused and softly added. "His father needs to know about him."

---

Arnav Singh Raizada took to the emotion that was he was known for using best. Anger. No, anger was an understatement. He took to outright and pure fury.

"And you're here after an entire year claiming to do the 'right thing'?" He exploded. As soon as the words left his mouth he wished he had stopped himself.

Shiv broke into tears and clutched to Nani's saree in desperation. Arnav looked at his son. Great, he thought, I didn't even hold the kid and managed to make him cry while standing across the room.

---

Arnav had exploded and Khushi had in a way expected it. However, Shiv breaking into tears was not what she expected. Her maternal instincts kicked in as she shot Arnav a look of disgust and went to gather Shiv into her arms. She was about to turn around and unleash her fury on Arnav when he stormed away. He went up the stairs and into his room. Khushi watched him go.

Does he even want to hold Shiv? It's his son too for god's sake! How dare he make the little thing cry and then storm away from here. I'm here to tell him about Shiv for his sake! And he doesn't even take a minute to realize that I didn't have to come here or tell him about our baby or even let Shiv know he has a father and Arnav Singh Raizada walks away? Khushi felt the tears forming in her eyes and closed them to diminish any tears. She rocked Shiv till he fell asleep. Anjali had followed her brother and Akash along with the rest of the family sat there speechless.

Khushi had never expected this to be easy. And Arnav's reaction was as extreme as she had thought it to be. Even then, somewhere in the back of her mind she had hoped for a second that Arnav would take the time to understand why she did what she had done. Typical Arnav Singh Raizada. Judge without looking at both sides of the story.

"Khushi, does Shiv need to eat food before he sleeps?" Nani asked with concern in her tone.

"Nahee, Nani, he'll wake up in an hour. I feed him then and he sleeps for a couple of hours." Khushi explained realizing that they didn't know anything about Shiv.

"Achaa. Well you can go to your room Khushi. I think we all need time to take in everything that's been revealed." Nani said standing up.

"Ji Nani." Khushi stood up with Shiv and left without a word to the room Payal led her to. As soon as she got to the room, she closed the door without letting Payal in. She needed some time alone.

There was a knock at her door.

"Khushi betiyan, give Arnav some time. You know him just as well as we all do. He's bad with matters of the heart, betiyan. Just give him time." Nani comforted Khushi from the other side of the door and walked away.

Khushi felt better at Nani's words. She'll give time. She already knew he'll take time. She just didn't know how much.

No comments:

Post a Comment